Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Thirsty Ambassador

It's really strange writing essays for competitions. One, word limits are indeed limiting of expression. I am a general believer in "less is more" however, in this case I could have written a book on my beliefs, values, Newfoundland, my education in music and it's very close connection to why I am a brewer and musician by profession and still do both for personal enjoyment.

This essay was written as an application to attend and represent the Canadian Food and Wine Institute for a conference for the Food and Beverage Department at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper, Alberta.

Note: in the essay I sneak in the word "Beer" into the Canadian Food and Wine Institute. I'm a brewer... just sayin'...









-


As a student of the Canadian Food, Beer and Wine Institute I am a part of a growing community of people dedicated and passionate about their craft, its art, its science and education. When incorporating passion into this industry there is a noticeable upward trend in the learning curve, a trend that does not seem to end. The creative bodies involved are bringing so much to the table in the way of discovery and innovation, while remaining true to the science and history. This process has elevated this Institute to the standards and integrity which it now holds. Others are inspired to enter such a flavourful environment and a growing craft. As a true believer that fermented beverages have been a strong building block of civilizations, I have chosen this career path in brewing sciences that I believe will craft a life of flavour, discovery, well being and good cheer. As a passionate student of my craft, I see myself as a great student representative and ambassador for the Canadian Food, Beer and Wine Institute.





As a true Newfoundlander I grew up with food, drink (when I was of legal age, of course), music, art and good cheer. It was a very colourful cultural environment to grow up in and there was so much to discover. Our food may be heavy with salt fish and root vegetables, yet in contrast the Island of Newfoundland also produces some of the most beautiful berries bursting with flavour such as my beloved bakeapples or cloudberries, as many may know.





I view my values in my craft much like I view Newfoundland's culture. There is a strong backbone, meat and potatoes, as the staple diet of education. There has to be a strong work ethic and understanding of the basics. These are the basics, the rhythms, the songs and dance at the kitchen parties all passed to me through family and friends. This also instills the values of the importance of family, friends and team work. I link this to ingredients in the mash-tun and kettle. Brewers need the malt, hops, water, and yeast to ferment the product but as a craft it will require an education for the current students, and an education that can later be passed on to another generation.





When the basics are obtained, the colours and flavours can then be added to spice up life a little. Using the example of the colourful berries in the spring and summer: they become the art and the personality that is brought to the party. As a culture we welcome the new, the spring, the flavours and art inspired by these elements. This is the play, the improvisation, the innovations, and the good cheer that blend into the kitchen. My kitchen happens to be a brewhouse and I welcome various colours, flavours, spices, and character and culture that is introduced into a beer. The creative will thrive and build upon the basics.





The last ingredient to make brewing a craft is furthering education. The Canadian Food, Beer and Wine Institute is where we learn the science, the chemistry, biology, mechanics, math, history and ability to analyze the fruits of our labours. A craft is a never ending learning experience that will forever be expressed in different ways from the colourful crafters and consumers involved.





I am also a musician that seeded from just being creative with friends. It inspired me to attend Memorial University of Newfoundland and graduate with a Bachelor of Music (Classical - Percussion/Performance). As an educated musician I also gained an appreciation for educating as well. It is difficult to surpass the feelings of being inspired by a mentor, professor, instructor or friend, then turning around and inspiring and teaching someone else.





I do indeed see myself as a great student representative and ambassador for the Canadian Food and Wine Institute because of my education, experience, dedication, passion and good cheer. I am truly dedicated and passionate about this industry. I feel that this sort of event could inspire and educate me. Also, I believe I have a lot to offer as a student of this institute.






By: Andrew Bartle

No comments:

Post a Comment