Saturday, March 20, 2010

Black and Blue: Smoke em' if you got em'


Please note the photo above. Do you notice anything? Here's a hint: I live in Ontario, and no one has underlined with a sharpie what they find offensive about the label.

Well, while everyone is sipping the St. Ambroise Stout Imperiale Russe, I am here feeling a little french as well. I have been looking at my stash of Aphrodisiaque from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel! and I couldn't take it any longer. It was screaming "drink me!" Who am I to say "no!" to such a seductive bottle?
Just today I had picked up a hunk of smoked blue raw cow cheese from Quebec (Blue Haze!) and knew this would fit just right.
The smoke hints amongst the cocoa, espresso, vanilla, ripe red fruits, molasses and touch of breadyness in the nose of the Aphrodisiaque would pair perfectly with the smokey, funky, ripe blue cheese that this beast is.
The body of the beer even pairs well. Both are rich and creamy. The ripe fruit and sweet malt tones of the beer compliment the funk of the blue. Both are buttery going down. Honestly, this is poetry in pairing cheese and beer. Both are complex, but neither are all that complicated.
A match made in heaven or up in smoke, cocoa, and vanilla!

By the by, check out one of my best friends in the world. Chris Newell A.K.A. Zen. Whether you like Hip-Hop or not, he's got some pretty gnarly rhymes and beats. Everything he touches is creative and catches your eyes or ears. Not a one trick pony by any means.


No comments:

Post a Comment