Thursday, April 1, 2010

B is For...


Ah, to be five years old (almost six) again. To wander through life driven only by curiosity of your surroundings seems a little too good to be true. Running in circles seemed like a great source of entertainment at that age (at least it did for me). To have a mind without filters between imagination and the real world. Thoughts are one with themselves, both dreams and the quick paced blur that the real world could be.

It appears that when five, turns to six and then you are soon "middle-aged" have experienced more than your fare share of the rat race, and what better way to relax and feel worry free at the end of the day but with a bubble beverage called "Beer!" The letter "B" is for a lot of things, but most commonly B is for Beer.

B is for Beer by Tom Robbins is "A Children's Book for Grown-ups" or " A Grown-up Book for Children." A tale of a girl, Gracie at the age of five nearing her sixth birthday and her curiosity for that golden bubbly beverage that made her uncle Moe burp, giggle, piddle, and make sense of life.

It's true, everything I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten, except for one thing. I didn't know anything about beer. Thankfully, I have grown up. Thankfully there is a book like this that brings me back in time and describes beer in a way I first imagined it, even at a later age.

This may not be a land completely of sugar elves and yeast, but there is there is a substance that make everything alright. Eat your heart out Harry Potter. This book is more to my speed. I just want beer with my cookies now.

It's worth a read to bring yourself to a child like state about a substance requiring an adult age to consume legally.

Please enjoy responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment