Monday, January 18, 2010

New and Old: Baltika No. 6


Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. It amazes me to think that beer and numbers always remind me of my tour in Russia back in 2007 playing timpani for a chamber orchestra. A trip I will never forget and I often think it's a huge reason I got into being a beer geek. Being from a place with little choice in beverages to a place where there was one brand alone that had a selection of beers numbered 0 - 10 along side a few other beers thrown in there. Well, doesn't that seem like a challenge? Ten days in Russia and ten numbers. Okay! So I never got through all of them, as some were seasonal, out of production, or simply unavailable at the vendors and markets I went to.
This brewery being the Baltika Breweries, based in St. Petersburg, Russia. This is the largest brewery in Eastern Europe with 85% of it's shares owned by Baltic Beverages Holdings (controlled by the Carlsberg Group).
Production started in 1990 and quickly grew to leading the way for the Russian beer market, not to mention one of the top leaders in all of Europe. Some may claim it's the "pride of Russia", but the economic growth of this company would make any business savvy person give a thumbs up.
Well, being a bit of a collector and a sucker for a souvenir, I had brought a few numbers back with me, No. 4 (original) with rye malt, No. 6 a baltic porter, and No.8 an unfiltered wheat beer (and a few bottles of vodka..."when in Rome..."). All but the No. 6 was gone. I had been saving it for a moment of reflection upon one of my favourite trips to date.
The LCBO was gracious enough to supply a nice Baltika Gift Pack containing the No. 5, No. 7 and (TA-DAH!) No.6 along with a nice branded glass. This presented me the ability to do a nice side by side. What Russia tasted like fresh in 2007 and what Russia tasted like in Canada now that it's 2010.


2007 - Pours an opaque black, brown hue in the light around the edges. A decent clarity and a mocha cream head that dissipates very quickly and clings to the sides of the glass.
The aroma is very boozy, plums, ripe strawberries and currents. Subtle notes of oak, toast, caramel and nice roasted malt balancing the sweetness.
The taste brings flavours of of cocoa, ripe red plums from the aroma, brandy and a rich cream. It has a slight tartness and tones of raisins and cherries. The roasted flavours have been dominated by the alcohol. Very little hop profile at all.
It has a thin body, lower carbonation, very silky, with a sweet liquor-like residual sugar lingering.
This has aged very well. It tastes nothing like I remember. It's like a roasted "weak" strong ale. I'd put this next to the fire (if I had a fireplace) with a bowl of raisins and almonds while watching the hockey game.

2009 - Pours opaque black with a thick creamy white head with great head retention that laces and lasts ( until the very last sip).
The aroma is smokey, hints of hickory, cocoa and a little sweet vanilla hiding in there somewhere. There are a few fruit esters in there from the warming alcohol, but not enough to really pinpoint.
Caramel sweet dominate malt, roasted cocoa, smokey and toasty, and various dried fruits (raisins and dates). Balanced well with the roasted malt and noble hop presence. A touch of brandy flavour stays on the tongue.
The body is full and creamy, moderate carbonation, the residual sugars do not last long, it really has a lager presence with a crisp dry finish.
This seems more like what I first tasted. I think this is a very nice baltic porter.

It is amazing what two years can do to a beer and how they stimulate my memories now. Russia was a fantastic time where I had many experience that will never be forgotten. To be able to taste a memory the way it would have been fresh and taste the lingering, aged memory and compare... that is a great thing.

Would those times be remembered and thought of so highly if they happened today? maybe not, but I'm glad they happened when they did.

And for your listening pleasure, Russian dub! I was lucky enough to see a great Russian reggae group, Dr. I-Bolit and the Tribal Roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment