Monday, January 3, 2011

Beer as Art

Fermentation,

you have stolen my heart.

Specifically ale and beer,

you please me most.

How does one dream without the flavours you produce upon my senses.

I hear you exhale

as my nose smells flowers in gardens undiscovered

and my tongue tingles with your intonation.

The touch is moody with the season,

yet you fill my veins with substance,

my brain with satisfaction.

Drunk is vitamins and wonder.

The discovery of mystery

and all parts creating harmony in song.

So let our senses dance and enjoy melody and rhythm

in all forms.


-
I am taking an alternate route to my beer writing. Beer as Art. Beer is art, simply put. It's my career, but something I link so closely to my heart. To be a brewer, cellarman, certified beer judge, critic, and drinker. I am a lover of the whole process; the tangible beer in the glass at any time of the day; the intangible social aspect of what beer brings to the table of friends. Civilization stems from fermentation. My heart beats on that concept. The rhythm of life wouldn't have a pulse without fermentation.

To me, beer is as important as music (I'm also a professional musician). Every beer book I read is building chops, knowledge, and a vocabulary. Every grain I taste, every hop I smell , every tea I brew is practicing my rudiments. Every beer I brew is another composition, theme and variation. Every bottle is my tangible copy for you. Every drop drank is a song, a painting, a conversation, contemplation, joy, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, you name it, it is craft, it is art.

This will provide tastings, technical and romantic.

This will provide my own reflections at the end of the day. Either from work, study, or play.

This is improvising on classics.

This is my journey through fermentation.


Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment