Friday, January 7, 2011

CRY UNCLE

My uncle is Dutch, well educated, a wealth of knowledge, a traveler, and a lover of beer. Every time he'd visit from his home in British Columbia, instantly the spare fridge in the basement would be full of beer. It had to be local, or at least the majority of it. I saw these really terrible labels that read Northern Light and Northern Lager (I'll let you do your own research on those brands). I had no problem running to the basement to grab a bottle and fill his glass every time I heard "another dead solider" or "it appears I have a leaky glass" or "imagine that, it all went under my nose."




The other impressive aspect of this man is his concern for good health and well being, yet being a drinker since the age of 9 (so he says). At around 6'7" tall with no weight problem he could down quite a few brews throughout the run of a day and never show signs of him ever having a beer. He had to have two carrots and a shot of apple cider vinegar while sitting in sunlight to get noon-time vitamins. Beer seemed to be like water or a soda, which is well represented in European culture. He said " helps keeps the flies away and full of vitamins." True enough, I agree now.



He was always full of stories and knowledge of everything and anything. A brain so full that I'm not sure how he could retain anymore information and still he manages to read a book a day along with daily news papers, while keeping his own life on track. This knowledge made him a great teacher.




Well, I was taught the proper way to pour the beer making sure there was a head on the beer and released all the aromas. Beer had to be in a glass. There was no other way to drink it. The Northern Light smelt like apple juice and left a tingle in my nose similar to soda water or diet cola, not so appealing. The Northern Lager on the other hand had a spicy and sweet grain aroma, more appealing.




It wasn't until I was probably 17 years old before I even bothered to sip from the bottom of the bottle (if there were any remains, so not to get called out on a short pour). It smelt better than it tasted. Keep in mind I had already started University at 17. Living away from home, played pool in the campus bar at breaks, partied with people I met, but never drank anything. I just didn't want to.




There was nothing less appealing than seeing a bunch of guys drinking Coors Light and acting macho or like an idiot. It didn't seem much different from the underage drinking that took place in parks and the steps of public buildings. Being in someones apartment or dorm room didn't make it much different in my mind.




To this day I'm still amazed at my memory for the things I sensed back then. It really hasn't left me. I'll always be thankful for my memory.



Now, if I couldn't only remember names…

No comments:

Post a Comment